Thursday, June 30, 2016

Acetone Health Hazard

Acetone Health Hazard

By: Arlene Gentallan

Acetone is a colorless flammable solvent, with sweet mint-like smell, widely commercialized, but poses danger to people's health.


Acetone is also known as:
  • 2-Propanone
  • Dimethyl carbonyl
  • Dimethylformaldehyde
  • Dimethyl ketone
  • Methyl Ketone
  • Propanonene
  • Pyroacetic Acid

Acetone can be found in cigarettes, nail polish remover, pain, adhesives, plastic, varnish, wax, and photographic film. It can be use to clean glasswares and wipe clean permanent ink market.

Acetone is a carcinogen, it's one among the many ingredients of cigarette that's poses serious health hazard.

Inhaling acetone can result to:

  • Eye irritation
  • Nose irritation
  • Throat irritation
  • Difficulty of breathing
  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Lightheadedness
  • Nausea & Vomiting


Skin exposure can result in irritation and redness of the area.

Using nail polish remover often can result in dry brittle nails that easily cracks.

In high doses, acetone is lethal:

  • Respiratory distress
  • Kidney failure
  • Liver damage
  • Seizure
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Coma
  • Death


Don't ingest acetone, it's poisonous! If you are in the United States, dial 1-800-222-1222 to speak with a local poison control center.